Friday, June 1, 2012

Heat

While at work last week I stumbled into our campus's fitness center at 4:45am.  I then heard on the news that there is a significant chance that the Madison Marathon will be cancelled. I knew the forecast predicted temperatures to be over 95 degrees but I never thought it would actually be cancelled.  I was devastated because I knew that since the Green Bay marathon the week before was cancelled that mine would be too. Friday it was confirmed.  We were permitted to still run the half. I started scrambling to find other marathons that weren't full.  With the Ragnar Relay 2 weeks away I didn't want to risk it by running three races in a row.   So with that I signed up for a different marathon in October.  Yes, that means 18 more weeks of training!

As for the half it was so much fun. I thought I would be bitter the entire time but I loved every minute. I finished in 1:48 a huge PR for me by at least 5 minutes.  The heat really got to me in the end at 80-85 degrees. I held my small Gatorade bottle for the first 5 miles then pitched it.  I relied on the provider water and sports drink after that which was a mistake. I didn't think I needed my fuel belt for a half.  I learned my lesson!

I am excited for the next race and I even have two friends doing it with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment